20 Ways to Get in Shape for Summer in Milwaukee
Summer is coming sooner than you think and the Milwaukee area offers plenty of ways for you to drop body fat, gain muscle, and get in great shape.
Let’s dive right in and take a look.
- Workout at a gym. Duh! Obvious choice, I know and you have a bunch of options in Milwuakee. The Wisconsin Athletic Club (The gym I work at as a personal trainer) was voted the best gym in Milwaukee, so naturally I’m going to suggest this place. To be honest though, it is a great place to get in shape and with 7 locations across the Milwaukee area you can find one close to you. Regardless of the gym you choose the benefits of working out at a gym can’t be overlooked.
- Run the steps or hill at Concordia University- Mequon. If you haven’t been there before you are missing out! There is a massive hill as well as steps leading down to lake Michigan – the perfect place to get a great workout in and have a fantastic view of that big ole’ lake.
- Run sprints in the sand at Bradford Beach. This may be a bit difficult when the beach is packed with people, but running sprints in the sand is a great way to burn calories and jump start your metabolism. If running in the sand was good enough for Rocky and Apollo, it is good enough for you.
- Run sprints up the sledding hill at Mee-Kwon Park. The same sledding hill used by many kids in winter (Ok, I use it too for sledding in winter) can be a great place to run sprints in the warmer weather. You want a great workout? Try running up that hill a few times and see how winded you are. Better yet, contact me and I’ll join you! (I love a good hill workout)
- Play sand volleyball at Bradford Beach. There are plenty of leagues you can join and this is a fun way to be active, get some sun, and hang with friends. Across Milwaukee there are other leagues you can join as well – find one you like and get moving!
- Go hiking at Pike Lake in the Kettle Moraine State Forrest. So, this may not be the closest spot to go hiking for you Milwaukeeans, but it sure is worth it. Why not see some gorgeous views and work on your fitness at the same time?
- Play a couple rounds of frisbee golf. There are courses all across the Milwaukee area and they are a bunch of fun. This is definitely a much more fun way to do some low intensity cardio than simply walking on a treadmill, so I’m a fan.
- Mow some lawns. Alright this may not be an option for all of you, but this is another low intensity type of exercise that will burn some calories for you. You could even help mow someone else’s lawn and cause mass happiness to spread across the land (maybe that won’t happen, but hey it would be a nice gesture). Heck, you may even get paid a few bucks to do it.
- Go for a stroll in Lake Park. There are plenty of parks in the area to choose from. A nice run in the park can be a great way to de-stress and burn some calories.
- Go biking on the Oak Leaf Trail. This 114 mile trail takes you all around the Milwaukee area and provides plenty of opportunity for you to get a fantastic workout in.
- Check out the Ozaukee Interurban Trail. I couldn’t just list the Oak Leaf Trail without listing the Ozaukee Interurban Trail. I’ve been on this trail many times before and think it is a great place to go for a bike ride. It’s definitely worth checking out.
- Play some flag football. You can buy some flags and play with your friends or search for a league to join in Milwaukee. Flag football is a bunch of fun and a tremendous workout as well! Even Kevin Durant plays it to stay in shape.
- Pick a race to run in. With different types of running events across the Milwaukee area you really can’t go wrong. Check out some options you have here.
- Hire a personal trainer to come to your house. Having a personal trainer workout with you at your house is a great way to get in shape for summer. You don’t have to worry about making it to they gym, the gym basically comes to you! I currently train clients in their homes as well as in the gym and it is a great way for them to get in shape without ever having to leave the house. Contact me to set up your first session or learn even more about in-home training.
- Go for a long walk with your dog. You both could benefit from the exercise, why be selfish and go alone? I’m all for multi-tasking when it comes to this type of exercise. You might as well walk with your dog and help them get fit as well. You can also check out some Milwaukee dog exercise areas for a special place to play with your pooch.
- Go ice skating at the Pettit National Ice Center. Yup, even in Spring and Summer you can go ice skating. Just check out the Pettit National Ice Center if you are looking for a place to go. They also have an indoor running track which is great for running inside during those really hot days.
- Get your dance on. You want to burn some calories and have some serious fun? Check out some of the best bars in Milwaukee (If you are of age of course) get some drinks, and get your dance on! Oh wait, won’t drinking alcohol make it more difficult to get in shape? Won’t it hinder your efforts at getting fit for summer? Maybe, if you aren’t dancing hard enough 😉 If you are looking to do a more traditional type of dancing to stay in shape check out the Fred Astaire Dance Studio. Whether you have moves like Carlton or not, dancing is a great way to get some exercise.
- Join a basketball league…or play a game outside. There are plenty of leagues around the area at different gyms or community centers. Basketball is a superb cardiovascular workout and SO MUCH FUN! With the weather being nicer you could also play at a local park with some buddies. Need another player? I’ll come show what kinda game I got 😉
- Go for a Swim. There are local pools all around the area. The Wisconsin Athletic Club has 11 pools at its 7 locations around the area to allow you to do lap swimming, as well as take different aquatics classes. There is also this big lake in the area. You may have heard of it. I think it’s called Lake Michigan and it has plenty of water to swim in.
- Join my outdoor fitness boot camp. If you want a fun way to workout outside this is a great way to go. As a certified fitness professional I’ll be able to not only put you through a phenomenal workout, but also help you make some nutritional changes to really allow you to get that beach body for summer.
- Bonus! Provide your own way to get in shape for summer in Milwaukee in a comment below. I’m sure I missed some cool spots or ideas and I’d love to hear what other possibilities there are 🙂
As a person who loves to stay fit (should be rather obvious) I think it would be awesome to join you – playing basketball, going frisbee golfing, dancing downtown, and staying active this summer. Let me know if you want to meet up and do something active in Milwaukee!
Have a GREAT day 🙂