5 Quick Tips to Stay Fit While Traveling
Staying fit while traveling doesn’t have to be difficult.
First, you have to realize something – how you travel from here on out will never be the same.
Why you may ask?
Because you can utilize the tips I mention below to help you stay fit while you travel. For you chronic business travelers these tips could be life savers (Not the candy if you were thinking it!). For the casual traveler these tips will help you navigate your travel experience so you don’t lose the progress you worked so hard for at home.
Now, don’t expect to make any huge gains while you travel – that is extremely wishful thinking in my eyes. However, if you can utilize a bit of damage control you’ll come out of your travels much better off.
Something to understand is this – there is a huge difference over time in gaining 1-3 pounds each time you travel and maintaining while you travel.
Let’s say you are a casual traveler. You travel 4 times a year and you always gain 1-2 pounds each time. That’s 4-8 pounds a year…just from traveling. Not to mention navigating holidays, birthdays, and all sorts of other events – you can see why exercising a bit of damage control while you travel can be important.
Do yourself a favor and use the following tips to help you stay fit while you travel. Promise me you will, ok? Thanks 🙂
- Find a gym…or bring your own equipment. Many hotels nowadays will have a fitness center – use it! If you have a busy day ahead of you while traveling then wake up 15-20 minutes earlier to get a workout in before the craziness ensues. If the hotel you are staying at doesn’t have a fitness center you can do a couple of things 1) Do a body weight workout in your hotel room. 2) Go to a local gym or school rec center to get a pass for the duration of your stay. 3) Find a local park to workout in. 4) Bring your own equipment to workout with. You can get a great workout with easy travel equipment like resistance bands or a jump rope.
- Get to the grocery store. It is important to buy a few healthy foods at the grocery store when traveling to help you stay on track. I’m not saying that you can’t go out to eat, let go a bit, and enjoy some great food at a restaurant, but that doesn’t mean every meal should be restaurant food either. Sure, you can make good choices at a restaurant and eat healthy foods, but the more you are eating at restaurants the more likely it is you’ll eat too much food, unhealthy food, and too much unhealthy food :). To stay fit while traveling try substituting some of those meals with meals from a local grocery store and buy some healthier snacks to ensure you don’t overeat when you do go to a restaurant.
- Explore…on foot! When I visited San Francisco with a buddy of mine in 2013 we explored the city on foot the majority of the time. It allowed us to take in the sights better, but also gave us a bit more exercise (Have you seen the hills there?). You may or may not have a bunch of time to walk around while you travel, but if you do, this is a great way to stay fit while you travel.
- Bring workout clothes. This may seem obvious, but it’s easily forgotten. Make sure to pack appropriate shoes, shirts, and shorts for getting your fitness on while you travel. It is a bit difficult to do the whole workout thing without the clothes to do so – be prepared and you’ll be fine.
- Think damage control. Look, staying fit while traveling is really all about damage control. The more frequently you make healthier choices while you travel the less damage you’ll do. Think about winning each situation you are in – eat healthier and exercise more than you normally would while you travel and in my book you have won.
For some of you who don’t travel that often, implementing this tips may not be that important, but for those who travel frequently these tips become increasingly important.
I want you to know that I’m all for indulging a fair amount while you travel, but if you’re frequently eating at places like the buffet at the Bellagio in Las Vegas (had to mention it, it is simply too good) and not exercising at all then it’ll be might difficult to stay fit.
Travel, eat well, exercise, and stay sexy 😉
Have a GREAT day!