How to Create a Better Day: One Important Step
The drive is beautiful – stunning views of the lake, gorgeous homes and, many mornings, an amazing sunrise like this:
This is my daily commute.
Though it takes 9 minutes longer than if I took the freeway, it’s completely worth it.
I’ve been taking this route to and from work for the last 2 months and it makes each day better. Why?
Want to create a better day? Find the beauty in each day.
Let’s face it, some days will suck -Your car gets broken into, your dog dies, you get fired from your job – Those things happen, I get that. However, to create a better day, immerse yourself in more beauty – trust me, it helps.
For me, finding more beauty in the world has made shitty days less shitty, average days above average and good days even better. On top of that, I often have my most creative ideas by surrounding myself with beauty. Now, simply looking at a beautiful sunrise may not directly solve world hunger, end terrorism or cure cancer, but it does have tremendous power.
The Power of Beauty
You know how powerful beauty can be, just look at what a guy will do for a beautiful woman (Trojan War?) or how much someone will pay for a beautiful painting or house with a beautiful view – there is some type of almost magical power in beauty. It can completely change our mood, cause us to be consumed by it and yet – it’s completely in the eye of the beholder.
Let’s go back to the idea of someone paying millions of dollars for a painting.
While one person is willing to pay 100+ million dollars for a painting (No, seriously it has happened multiple times) some other person might not give a rats ass about it. One person feels something powerful when they look at it while the other person feels nothing.
It doesn’t matter how you find beauty or what your definition of it is, what matters is that you surround yourself with beauty every day. From my personal experience, this leads directly to increased happiness, a sense of calm, less stress and more clarity in your life. Here’s what you can do to find beauty in each day:
6 Ways to Find the Beauty in Each Day
There are endless ways to find beauty in this world and the best part is you don’t have to go to the ends of the earth to do so. Here are a few places you can find beauty:
- Nature. This is my favorite way to take in the beauty of this world. Go to a park, wake up early to watch the sunrise or just take a look up at the stars in the sky at night. If you want to go for full immersion check out a national park like Yellowstone – you’ll be in complete awe.
- Music. There are some go to bands I listen to that make absolutely beautiful music – this is what I listen to during my commute and it’s a great way to start and end my day. Want some suggestions? Classical music is great, as are Explosions in the Sky and the band whose CD I have on repeat in my car – Highs.
- Architecture. The world is full of beautifully designed buildings. If you live in Milwaukee like I do, just walk around downtown and you’ll see a few of them. I can’t explain what exactly makes a building beautiful, but you’ll know it when you see it.
- Art. Museums are everywhere, not to mention artwork that exists outdoors. Head to a museum or take a look at some artwork at a nearby park or commonplace in your city.
- Poetry. It’s amazing what words can make you feel. Here are 100 of the best poems ever created. Enjoy.
- Your significant other. Yup, simply spending time with that beautiful man or woman you’re with could be the easiest way to be around beauty and create a better day.
One More Thing
You can see how powerful beauty is and how it can make your day better. Not only that, but by surrounding yourself with more beauty on a daily basis you’ll become more mindful, leading to you making better decisions – Eating right, going to the gym and doing other things that improve your quality of life. Through those decisions, who knows what you’ll accomplish.
How will you use beauty to create a better day today?