You are distracted.
I am distracted.
This is ruining our lives.
Social media, email, TV, fantasy football, text messages, YouTube, Buzzfeed – the distractions are endless.
Hell, as I write this the urge to check my phone, see if I have any notifications on Facebook and look at how my fantasy football team is doing is very real.
I can’t help but wonder, how did we get to this point?
More importantly, how can we simplify our lives to live better?
All of the clutter and things which supposedly enhance our lives, are only taking the time of our ever shortening attention spans – time we’ll never get back.
The more we simplify, the more time we create.
Time we can spend with the people we love.
Time we can spend doing things we love to do.
Time we can spend taking care of our health.
Time we can spend reflecting on what’s most important.
How can we simplify our lives? Here are some things I’ve done:
- Journal daily. How can we simplify our lives if we don’t know what the essentials are? Taking time to reflect each day has been one of the biggest ways I’ve managed to simplify my life. With this daily reflection we can figure out which activities drag us down and which activities make life worth living. We’ll never be perfect, but we can make tremendous improvements in our lives this way.
- Get out in nature. There’s something powerful about spending time outside. For me, this has always helped me find more clarity and peace of mind.
- Write out the essentials of the day. I have a to-do list of 20-30 items on a daily basis, however, to keep myself focused on what is most important I often write down the top 2-3 things I need to do each day. A to-do list can be endless and you probably won’t finish everything in a day, but at the end of the day can you say that you did something worthwhile?
- Limit the time you spend on social media. RescueTime is a great resource I’ve used to monitor the time I spend online. With a weekly email telling me how much time I spend on each website I’m much more aware of where I’m wasting time.
- Spend time alone. Want to get to know yourself and understand what gives you the most joy in life? Spend some time alone. I’ve used the time I spend alone to reflect on the good, the bad and what I want in the future – allowing me to figure out where I can simplify my life more.
- Say no. With all of the distractions we have and people who want our attention, saying no couldn’t me more important. We have a finite amount of time each day and in order to do things that matter we have to say no to things that don’t.
It’s not always easy to simplify, it’s something I continue to struggle with, but I’m convinced it will make us happier and give us time for the things that matter most.
I’d love to know, what is one thing you’ve done or will do to simplify your life? Leave a comment below 🙂
To help you simplify your exercise, I wrote a 10 page eBook that you can get here.
Furthermore, check out the accompanying video I made on the subject for episode 2 of The JustGo Show: