What Every Man Ought to Know About Building Muscle
Each week I review articles in four categories: fat loss, nutrition, strength training and health and wellness, giving you the Just Go Tips from each article to save you time and help you take action.
What Every Man Ought to Know About Building Muscle by Jason Maxwell
Building muscle is a pursuit of many men (I would argue it’s a pursuit of many women too, especially if they want that “toned” look).
Knowing how to exercise and what to eat will obviously go a long ways in your muscle building journey and Jason tells you how to do just that with this excellent article covering 39 tips for building muscle.
You can go directly to the article by clicking here. My Just Go Tips from the article as well as my thoughts about it can be found below.
Just Go Tips
- Increase your exercise volume. An issue I see with many programs geared towards building muscle is inadequate. Don’t be afraid to increase your exercise volume working 5 sets of 5 reps, 8 sets of 8 reps and even going as high as 10 sets of 10 reps for an exercise (German Volume Training).
- Get stronger. That means working more than just the same 8-12 rep range every week. Add some lower rep training (Sets of 1-6 for example) to get stronger, allow you to cause more stress on your body and gain muscle.
- Consume more protein. A problem I often see with beginners who want to build muscle is that they aren’t consuming enough protein. While many experts suggest consuming 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight I would tell you to simply consume more than you currently are. If you are only eating 40 grams of protein each day and bump it to 100 grams per day with a solid lifting program you’ll get some results.
- Use a creatine supplement. Plenty of studies have been done on creatine and have shown it’s effectiveness in building muscle.
There are plenty of things you can do help you with building muscle. If you have been struggling to build muscle so far ask yourself a few questions:
- Am I using enough training volume?
- Am I consuming enough protein?
- Have I been consistent with my workouts?
- Have I been eating enough calories?
The clients I’ve worked with that have had the most success building muscle had consistent training session each week, were consuming more protein than they previously had and focused on eating more.
Jason covers 39 really good tips for building muscle, but to put it all together you need a solid program and a coach who knows what they are doing. To get both contact me and I’ll get you started on the right track.
What should you do next? Just go!
Choose something you can apply to your life and take action. What have you got to lose?
To get my Just Go Tips delivered directly to your inbox enter your best email below.
Don’t worry, I’ll never spam you and you can easily unsubscribe at any time. Trust me, it’ll be worth it to subscribe and if it’s not I give you permission to send me the meanest email imaginable telling me why it wasn’t worth your precious time.